Leeds East LGBT+ Labour
We are dedicated to creating an environment where people can be themselves and share their own diverse backgrounds, experiences, perspectives and ideas. We encourage group discussions about LGBTQ matters with the intention of creating a wider understanding and acceptance of each other.
Labour has a long and proud history of campaigning for LGBT+ rights.
From the repeal of Section 28 to the delivery of Civil Partnerships and the passing of the Equality Act, we have fought both inside the Labour party and with the Labour party to defend and extend the rights of LGBT+ people for over 40 years. LGBT+ Labour exists to strengthen the Labour Party’s commitment and action on LGBT+ struggles from the inside and to give the UK the Labour government it deserves to ensure that this country works for the many, not the few.
- To make sure that LGBT+ members are included in all of the party’s activities and that meetings and events are fully inclusive of LGBT+ members.
- To reach out to LGBT+ people through local campaigns and working with organisations in the constituency to engage voters, highlight issues and get a better deal for LGBT+ people.
- To bring LGBT+ members together to empower each other and break down the barriers to getting involved
- To link the CLP with LGBT+ Labour and encouraging members of your CLP to get involved with LGBT+ Labour nationally and in the regions and nations.
- To run events for LGBT+ members, including policy development, social events and training.
- To work to recruit more LGBT+ members into the Labour party and helping to make sure that those members make the jump from member to activist to leader.
- To listen to LGBT+ people’s views and ensuring they are reflected in Labour’s policymaking
- To reiterate that Trans women are women. Trans men are men. Non-binary people are valid.
- To reiterate that no one chooses to be transgender.
- To reiterate that transphobia is not a more tolerable form of hate.
- To reiterate that speak out against transphobia.
- To welcome new LGBT+ members to the CLP, through emails, phone calls or social events
LGBT+ Labour as a national organisation is active and there is a regional branch, Yorkshire and the Humber LGBT+ Labour (https://www.lgbtlabour.org.uk/committee) with the co-chairs being Councillor James Lewis and Ellie James if you were looking for an LGBT+ contact.
Councillor James Lewis is a councillor for Kippax and Methley and you can find his page on the council website, here
Leeds LGBT+ Labour
LGBT+ Inclusive Leeds
The Official Facebook page of Leeds City Councils LGBT+ Hub and LGBT+ Inclusive Leeds. Posts by the Councils LGBT+ Engagement Officer.
Labour Campaign for Trans Rights
Trans Pride Leeds
The Labour Campaign for Trans Rights